We all know:
– the ever present danger of Food Allergy in the childcare sector
– a misunderstanding between food allergy and food preference can be the difference of life and death
–5 – 8% of all children under the age of 5 have serious food allergies
– There is a paucity of training in the sector for allergy understanding
– Nor is there a requirement for practitioners to receive any training in Food Allergy Management
– No requirement for Chefs/cooks to have any catering qualification let alone any nutrition or food allergy management training.
– EYFS does not even mention food allergy management and makes only very tenuous reference to good nutrition.
But did we know?
■ EU legislation requires EYCs to carry the same level of due diligence in their food allergy management as The big five supermarkets, restaurants, airlines, schools, hospitals and other food provider.
■ The EYC must declare whether any of 14 allergens are present in every serving of food and drink they provide to children in their care
■ This legislation effects nurseries, children’s centres, play schools, childminders- Any EYCs who provides, meals, drinks or snacks.
■ Enforceable by law.
You could get 100% funding for Allergy Training if you are a not for profit or charitable organisation